How is the extra virgin olive oil different from the regular olive oil?
The basic difference between extra virgin olive oil and regular olive oil lies in the method of extracting the oil which leads to a difference in health properties along with the color of the oil and the taste. The more the oil is processed the fewer benefits it derives for those who consume it. Extra virgin olive oil contains more polyphenols which is a type of antioxidant with numerous health benefits. The nutritional value of extra virgin olive oil is better in comparison to regular olive oil.
Different types of olive oil are available
Different types of olive oil have different qualities to benefit the consumer. There is much olive oil like extra light olive oil that is available on the market-
- Extra virgin olive oil– cold-pressed, keeps natural content intact, has low acid content.
- Virgin olive oil– cold-pressed, unrefined, has an acidic content of max 4%, tastes mild, temperature resistant.
- Pure olive oil– a mixture of extra virgin or virgin olive oil with refined olive oil, used in cooking, contains vitamin E, used for massage and beauty therapy.
- Refined Olive Oil– almost the same fat content as others, used primarily for cooking.
- Olive Pomace Oil– made out of the remains of the extract, mixed with high-quality oil to get good quality; only used for cooking, massage, and therapeutic use.
How To Determine Which Olive Oil To Choose?
Before you go and grab extra light olive oil you should know what aspects you should assess in your olive oil. Some of the determining factors are given below.
The darker a bottle will be the better protection it gets from light and thus keeps the oil high in quality.
If possible try to taste the oil before buying it. If the oil tastes a little bitter, pungent with the peppery bite then go for it. This oil contains phenols and polyphenols which people mostly want in olive oil.
The Expiry Date
Always try to buy a fresh bottle of olive oil, and look for the expiry date. If you don’t find it, avoid buying it.
Before adding it to your cart you must check what kind of oil you are purchasing by looking at the bottle itself.
Always read the back of the bottle where the contents and the nutritional value are given and then purchase it.
Final Words Before buying olive oil, always be aware and keep in mind the points discussed above. Olive oil can only be beneficial when you buy the correct one. To get the best quality, read about it to understand the different aspects and benefits of olive oil.