We all here will agree that no other food tastes better than homemade food. Here is a list of 5 healthy easy to cook lunches.
ROASTED TOMATO BASIL SOUP
- 3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, cut in halflengthwise
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) canned plum tomatoes, with their juice
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 quart chicken stock or water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown.
- Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock.
- Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet.
- Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade.
- Taste for seasonings. Serve hot or cold.
SALAMI AND CHEESE SANDWICH
- Multi-grain bread
- Low fat butter
- Salami 2 slices
- A slice of cheese
- Slather your bread with butter
- Assemble the rest of the ingredients and grill
WATERMELON AND TOFU SALAD
- Low fat salad dressing
- Pre-cut watermelon cubes
- Throw all your ingredients together
- Toss it around and dress for taste
HUMUS & PITA
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- olive oil, plus more for serving
- fresh lemon juice
- tahini (sesame seed paste; optional)
- ground cumin
- kosher salt
- In a food processor, puree the chickpeas and garlic with the olive oil, lemon juice, tahini (if using), cumin, and ¾ teaspoon salt until smooth and creamy.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons water as necessary to achieve the desired consistency.
- Transfer to a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the paprika before serving
SUN DRIED TOMATOES PASTA SALAD
- 1/2 pound fusilli (spirals) pasta
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, medium-diced
- 3/4 cup good black olives, such as kalamata, pitted and diced
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, medium-diced
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- – For the dressing:
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, julienned
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water with a splash of oil to keep it from sticking together
- Boil for 12 minutes, or according to the directions on the package. Drain well and allow to cool.
- Place the pasta in a bowl and add the tomatoes, olives, mozzarella, and chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
- For the dressing, combine the sun-dried tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, capers, salt, and pepper in a food processor until almost smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta, sprinkle with the Parmesan and basil, and toss well.
A quick way to gain all the nutrients simultaneously. Veggie Sub Sandwich is very easy to make and a delicious simple sub for veggie lovers. You can make it at home easily with vegetable patty along with your favorite veggies wrapped in your choice of bread.