Considered to be one of the most well-known cereals in the world, Muesli can be consumed hot or cold, right from the bag or container. You can serve it just the way it is or in creamier varieties. It can easily be integrated into healthy snacks and baked goodies, and thus could be the healthy and tasty options you’ve been looking for.
What Is Muesli?
Muesli consists of a base made of whole grains and oats blended with varied ingredients like seeds, nuts, sweets, and dried fruits. This ready-to-eat breakfast food is quite popular in Australia, New Zealand, and Europe. Dr Maximilian Bircher-Benner originally invented Muesli in the 19th century. He was a nutritionist who advocated that food serves as medicine, but also needs to be nutritious and delicious.
Muesli is a sweet blend of rolled oats, quinoa, and grains along with dried fruits, seeds, and nuts. Consumers can add cinnamon, honey, sugar, and nutmeg to bump up the flavour and sweetness of this cereal.
Muesli Nutty Delight can even be used in savoury and sweet dishes starting with blondies and chocolate cookies to spinach oatmeal and rosemary granola. With such versatility to offer users, it is worth understanding what this cereal is.
Health Benefits of Muesli
Conventionally, Muesli is made with very little sugar. You can add extra sweetness to it with fruits like grapes, pears and apples. The healthy blend of different ingredients in this superfood makes it one of the healthiest breakfast options. Some of the most prominent muesli benefits include:
- Healthy muesli brands offer muesli as a mixture containing nuts. Thus, making it a good source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids. You can increase its protein content by serving it with milk. It is the rich protein content of this food that makes it a healthy choice for individuals trying to be fit and healthy. It helps in burning off fat and in muscle growth.
- Muesli is much more nutritious than cornflakes and other cereals. Since it is low in its sugar content and calories, it is considered healthy to consume in the morning.
- Muesli is one of the best sources of antioxidants that help in dealing with oxidative stress and in keeping the body free of stress. Consuming this healthy food every day can nourish the brain and the skin. It even helps in protecting the body against different internal damages.
Other advantages of this superfood include the fact that it energizes the body, helps in maintaining good eyesight, deals with heart-related problems, supports the health of the bones, boosts cognitive power, and improves the absorption of iron.
How to Eat Muesli?
If you are wondering how to eat muesli, then understand that the best way of eating it is just the way you would eat any other cereal. You can add milk to a bowl of Muesli and have it regularly. You can even try plain yoghurt instead of milk for a different texture and flavour. Additionally, you can have it with sliced banana, diced apple, kiwi, chopped pear, mango, and strawberries. It is fun to have this cereal with dried fruits like apricot, cranberries, currants, sultanas, raisins, and Goji berries.
What is the Difference Between Muesli and Granola?
Muesli Fruit & Nut is very different from Granola. Both these kinds of cereal might look similar, but the former tends to be less processed and much healthier. This is because it is –
- Filled with dried fruits, nuts, and seeds
- Unsweetened and does not have added oils
- Lightly toasted and raw
Muesli vs Granola
Muesli is generally endearingly called the sibling of granola. Nevertheless, it is not baked in the same way as granola, which contains a lot of calories and fat. Muesli is lighter and drier because it is not baked with oil and sugar. It is uncooked, making it healthier in comparison to Granola.