It’s so much more convenient grabbing that cup of coffee or packet of chips, on an empty stomach, when attending to ‘more important things of the day.’
The quality of food going into our system takes a back-seat because, who wants to make these decisions first thing in the morning, right? Taking the easy way out, just leads to long term ill-effects on the body.
If you think reaching out for a glass of orange juice is a good idea in the morning – Pause, Observe, Think Again.
Here are some foods that are harmful for the body if taken on an empty stomach.
1) Citrus Fruits – The fruit acids of citrus fruits overtime can result in gastric ulcers or gastritis. Heartburn is also a possible reaction to eating citrus fruits on an empty stomach.
2) Yoghurt – The excess HCL created by eating yoghurt on an empty stomach, ends up killing the lactic bacteria in the stomach.
3) Coffee – On an empty stomach, the HCL levels in the stomach tend to increase the hydrochloric acid levels in the stomach, leading to you either throwing up or getting constipated.
4) Spices – Spicy foods first thing in the morning cause an increase in the production of acid in the stomach, which may result in digestive problems in the future.
5) Bananas – Eating bananas on an empty stomach increases the amount of magnesium in the blood. This could cause potential harm to your heart health.
You can reach out for the following food options instead:
1) Oatmeal or Muesli – The soluble fibre in the oatmeal helps lower the cholestrol levels of the body. It also provides a protective lining in the stomach in the mornings from the produced hydrochloric acid.
2) Honey – The release of serotonin or the ‘feel good’ hormone with the consumption of honey, helps you get energised for your day and boosts your brain activity.
3) Eggs – The carbs and protein of the eggs make for a good morning meal. They help line the stomach in the morning.
4) Poha – Also known as flattened rice, is another one of the many good morning meals to choose from. It provides the body with the good carb, which gives you the energy to kick-start your day.
5) Watermelon – This fruit’s high amount of lycopene, helps the body regain its nutrients in the morning. It also supplies the body with sufficient amount of fluid and is great for the heart and the eyes.
6) Nuts – Dry fruits, aid digestion. They tend to create a good ph balance for the body if taken on an empty stomach.